Monday, July 20, 2009

A very long weekend recap

Hello lovelies! How I love love love 4-day weekends! I'm currently sitting in the Portland (Oregon) airport awaiting my plane back to Eastern Washington - how smart is it that Portland has their entire airport connected via free wifi? - and am very happy that I decided early on in the weekend to abstain from internet usage. There was just too much to do!

What's that, you ask? You want a recap of my weekend? Sure!

It all started with Friday. Oooooh Friday. We had all of our official wedding appointments scheduled for Friday, so we headed to the caterers first. Since our meeting wasn't until 1, we stopped at McMenamin's Barley Mill Pub for some cajun tots... YUM! Matt gets these every time we're in Portland. Then it was off to Vibrant Table for an hour-long meeting -- got so much stuff done, the most exciting of which was deciding on colors! I'll write more about that in Wedding Wednesday in a few days. After that Matt, Matt's mom and I headed downtown, where we met up with Nurse Paul. The boys headed off to a record store while Matt's mom and I hit up the Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale! I was so excited to not only be in a big city for it this year, but to be in a big city without sales tax! Check out what i got:

After Nordies and a quick stop at the Portland Visitors Center and a look at the sand castles on display and being built at Sand in the City, we met back up with Matt and Nurse Paul for some cupcake sampling at Cupcake Jones. And then it was off to the main attraction on Friday: DEATH CAB. Death Cab for Cutie was playing at McMenamin's Edgefield property, which was a pretty awesome concert venue. We snagged some free food at the end that the concert vendors hadn't been able to sell, and then it was home for the night.

And that was just Friday!

Saturday started out a little more tamely, with a leisurely breakfast at Vita Cafe with Nurse Paul and another college friend and her boyfriend. Their corn pancakes? DELICIOUS. Then, because every time I go to Portland I have to go to Powell's, we went to Powells. I bought two books (a biography about Leni Riefenstahl, and Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel) and a reusable shopping bag to show my Portland love in Spokane. After that, it was off to the International Beer Festival in the Pearl District. We sampled tons of beers - and a few other things, too - but my favorite was a Mango Weizen by Trade Route Brewery. Then, immediately following quick Taco Bell and Burgerville stops, we headed back to Edgefield to listen to the soundcheck and wait for Decembrists concert #1! While chilling on the porch, Nurse Paul, Matt, and I split a bottle of wine, some marionberry ice-cream, and tried to avoid being in the wedding photos of a couple that were getting married at the property. The Decembrists were playing 2 shows in Portland, along with Blind Pilot and Andrew Bird - they were fantastic! After the concert, we waiting out the parking lines by getting some food in Edgefield's Black Rabbit Restaurant - I had a Portabello mushroom sandwich that was delicious. Then it was home to bed!

Sunday was another wedding planning day! Matt's parents, Matt and I went to the Hands on Cafe at the Oregon College of Art and Craft. I had some delicious buckwheat pancakes topped with peaches, blueberries, and cream. Then Matt's mom and I took of for some mother-in-law/daughter-in-law bonding. We headed to Home Depot to get some paint swatches that match our new wedding colors, and then took off to The Wedding Cottage to check out things like favors, invitations, unity candles, and other accessories. Our final stop was at Saint Cupcake, where we picked up pricing info and a 10-cupcake sampler pack. Following a brief taste test with Matt's parents, Matt and I took off to get Nurse Paul for our final concert of the weekend - Decembrists concert #2 at Edgefield. Decembrists concert #2 wasn't as good as Decembrists concert #1, but both were awesome and I'd love to see them again sometime soon. Because we decided we hadn't had enough fun yet, we went to see the new Harry Potter movie after the concert. Overall, I'd say the new movie is "meh" but thought it was still pretty entertaining. It didn't stand out over the rest of the series for me like it has for others.

So now I'm sitting in the Portland airport, waiting for my flight! We made a quick stop at Ikea to get Matt some record storage units (always the organizer, eh?), and then we headed over here. It was a fun weekend, but I'm looking forward to going home (and reading the 250+ items in my google reader!).

Hope you all had great weekends!

No comments: